Saturday, April 23, 2005

A Note to Everyone...

From my last several blog posts, I've received quite a few nice comments from my readers. First off, I didn't know so many of you read this. I'm really quite stunned and flattered you take the time to read my thoughts, and please know that its appreciated. It did hit me though, that maybe not everyone understands the title "Absolutely No Spin", so I thought maybe I ought to explain it a little.

"Spin" refers to changing (altering) a story in order to fit your point of view. You can put in or take out facts as you see fit. Politicians do this all the time. They'll use one study to prove a point, and the other side will use another study proving theirs'. Sometimes spinning a story is done by outright distortion of the facts. This is done by the media a lot, too. Here's an example: Let's say a woman is walking her dog near the roadside. Another dog comes along and gets excited by the woman's pet, jumps towards the womand and the dog, and then pushes the lady into the street where she gets hit by a car. How would you run this story in a news paper? If I was dedicated to the truth, I'd write something like this - "Excited Dog Causes Accident, Woman Injured." But, most likely it will be run like this - "Vicious Attack by Stray Dog Injures Woman." Thats a very simple, but pretty realistic scenario. Spin happens everyday, its just a matter of sifting through it and not falling victim to it.

So ok, my blog is No Spin. Does that mean I won't be pushing my own opinion in it? Absolutely not. What it does mean is that I promise I'll always give you the truth as I know it. I'm not going to lie or spin for anyone or anything. I'm not going to spit political party talking points out. Honestly, most of them are complete crap. And during election seasons, both parties get excessive diahrrea of the mouth. Being able to tell whether a politician is honest or not is extremely difficult. I'm afraid I can't give you a test for that like I did in my "Who's Got Your Back" blog post. I guess there are two rules for judging politicians - follow the money, and stay away from carpet baggers. (carpet bagger = someone who moves to another state other than their own in order to run for office).

Another promise I'm going to try to keep is to post more. I really enjoy it and don't do it enough. In the meantime, as I gather some topics together, I invite you to read some of my previous posts you may have missed, or send me a topic to write about if you want to hear an interesting view on it.

On that note...I do have an actual topic to right about tonight...

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton