Thursday, November 10, 2005

Its beginning to look a lot like Solstice



The holidays are just around the corner. I guess I shouldn't make mention of that in fear of offending those who might not celebrate them. For those 3 people living in the Village in NYC, I'm sorry - but this blog isn't for you anyway.

Well its started again! The holidays are fast approaching. We've been seeing the cards in Hallmark, and even the little trivial gifty things coming around your local drug store. Little kids are begging mommy and daddy...er...Santa Claus for the latest G.I. Joe or Barbie or whatever they play with these days. I even find myself eyeing up some special items and hinting to my friends and family what they might be.

For Christians, its obviously more than just the gifts and turkey that are celebrated. We celebrate the birth of Jesus from his virgin Mother at Christmas, and give thanks to God for providing for us on Thanksgiving. However, some people don't want us to talk about that...tsk tsk...

There are so many ridiculous examples out there about how we've been persecuted by not being able to say "Merry Christmas" or put out manger scenes, or the ACLU suing over Christmas Carols being sung in schools...but I only want to focus on one item which I find to be ultimately the stupidest.

Every year at this time, some network (I guess they take turns) has an exclusive special that is promoed something like this:

"Over 2000 years ago, a movement was started by one man that would change the face of humankind forever. Now, in an special -exclusive- from , we look back into history, and discover the real Christmas story. We'll retrace the steps and uncover the real truth about the birth of Jesus. If you think you know the whole story from what you grew up with, then you MUST watch."

*sigh* This is obviously ridiculous. I've never seen one of these numerous specials actually uncover anything of any worth. Yet, they have new ones every single December and others during Easter season. What is the deal here? The History channel has them too. I really don't think any good comes of these ritual airings except maybe to engergize the Christians around the country to be more vigilant about those seeking to rob them of their faiths.

And you know, that really is the kicker. The people who put these things together are really doing a number on us, aren't they? They put this garbage on TV and some people actually accept it as true. And for those who aren't very strong in their faith, it can rob them of it. How sad this is. To rob someone of their faith is one of the worst things you can do to a person. I think there is a special place in hell reserved for those that do.

Now, I'm all for looking back into history and finding the truth. As a student of history, I don't have any problem with doing real research from an unbiased point of view. This is one of the reasons I love the Catholic faith so much - it doesn't run from history or science. It encourages research in both energetically.

If you really want to know the "real story of Christmas", I suggest you look elsewhere. Those specials are written with zero good intentions. If you don't believe in Christmas or any other religious holiday, then you are still in luck because you can continue to reap the benefits of them whether by giving/receiving gifts or just spending time with friends and family.

If you'd like to read more about the actually tradition of celebrating Christmas, there is an extensively researched and historical account here:

www.newadvent.org - Christmas
Its a good read no matter your religious persuasion.

So...

Happy Thanksgiving
Merry Christmas
Happy Hannukah
Kwanzaa is not real

p.s. Yes, I made the image of the REAL Jesus. It is a parody and not connected with any specific television entity or company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have an idea!
Lets look to the bible as an accurate portrayal of history, cause that was written by God. Everything we need to know is in that book and we needn't look else where for anything. The Bible is the only ture history book.

p.s. Kwanzaa is not real

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt--

I got to this blog by fiddling around with Chrissy Bell's MySpace(wow--that's the first time I've used her new name!). I looked at pennhost.com and at some of the work you've done with the Tunkhannock companies, and I think it's awesome and impressive, so I figured I'd tell you so! I hope that things are going well for you--take care.

- Sarah Reid

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton