Thursday, August 24, 2006

Truth in Advertising - No Spin Time

Earlier I posted a humorous entry about a fictious suggested warning label for the Plan-B "birth control" pill being allowed now from the FDA. It appears that at least one supposedly Catholic blogger is convinced more-so than not that Plan-B is not abortifacient. I read the post and honestly a lot of it looks like technical medical writing. (link below if you care to check it out.)

The company apparently claims that it "may" be abortifacient, however the author of the post seems to reject that claim by doing re-research of documents available. To me that sounds a little like the "smoking may cause cancer" warning labels and not believing them.

That being said, if the drug is not abortifacient then I will have to change my warning label. After all, my blog is called "Absolutely No Spin." I do not want to promote any kind of lie even if its from "my team."

We'll see what the data comes up with in the future...once its on the market and being used in real time. I have a feeling Pope Paul VI will be proved right once again.


Links:
Ales Rarus blog - "Plan B is Not Abortifacient"

...and...

Why None of that actually matters:
Pope Paul VI - Humanae Vitae

5 comments:

MB (Dick) Gray said...

Hey Matt! Just so you know, the morning after pill does not cause abortions. Here's an excerpt from the AP's coverage of it...

"The pills are a concentrated dose of the same drug found in many regular birth-control pills. Taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, a woman can lower the risk of pregnancy by up to 89 percent. If she already is pregnant, the pills have no effect."

The pills are designed to "trick" the body into thinking it has ovulated, meaning no egg is released, and therefore no fertilized egg is prevented from implanting in the uterine wall, resulting in pregnancy. Given the number of unwanted pregnancies that occur each year, I'm hoping that the release of this drug will help reduce those numbers without having to resort to abortion. However, the government needs to be smart about it and make it readily available to the poorer population who already cannot afford birth control. Putting a big price tag on the pill would do little or nothing to alleviate the situation.

Just another point of view from an expectant mother. =) Knowing several women who really want and deserve children and can't have them, a handful who have undergone fertility treatments to become pregnant, and having tried for 7 months myself to get pregnant, it always disturbs me to see the little kids at school who are obviously unwanted, unloved, and starving for attention. I'm hoping that, if nothing else, this will help to significantly reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.

Matt said...

Hello MB!!

Thanks for the comment and the quote. I've read some stuff that does say it causes abortion and then stuff that says it doesn't. I don't understand why even the company says is may be, if it doesn't.

Either way I cannot support anything that cuts life off even if that life is unfortunately "unwanted".

If it is not an abortifacient then in the very least, it will not be killing babies in their earliest stages.

I look forward to meeting Justin when he is born!

Funky Dung said...

Thanks for the link. I'm a little bummed that you called me "supposedly" Catholic, though. Aside from sounding a bit like spin, it struck me as kinda judgemental. ;) Anyhow, you might be interested to know that I've clarified my position on Plan B with another post.

Matt said...

Hi Funky,

The only reason I said "supposedly" was because I had only read that one post. Since, I have looked around and its pretty apparent that you are in fact a Catholic Blogger. :-) I meant no disrespect whatsoever.

I look forward to reading more as it comes. Not to mention, you'll notice that it was your post that made me hold off on my original judgement on the matter, hence the "No Spin."

Funky Dung said...

No real offense taken. Hence the winky. ;)

I'll be linking to this post soon. It cites some more studies.

On an unrelated note, FI notice you're a member of the St. Blog's Parish Webring. Have you considered joining the newer St. Blog's Parish Aggregator?

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton