Monday, September 04, 2006

Good morning! Do you believe in evolution?

This morning I was woken up by two ever so nice ladies ringing my doorbell. I opened the door and immediately saw the tell tale bible hugging. What I wasn't prepared for was the line they gave me.

"Hi, we stopped by today figuring everyone is home. We were just wondering what your views on Creation and Evolution were? We know so many people have differing views, but here in Awake magazine there is an article about it..."

Their Bibles looked well used and nice, which was really the focus of my attention. My eyes immediately went to them because at first they looked like 1962 Missals...but then I snapped to it. Nobody would be proselytizing with old Catholic liturgical books. And certainly most Catholics wouldn't think of that kind of work...but I digress...

Well, they were all kinds of smiling. I have a personal policy not to be rude to the various "missionaries" that come to my door. They asked if they could know my views on Creation and Evolution. I told them I was a Catholic so I was "fine with it." (with a smile)

The smile was mine because I am fine with both. Or to put it better, I believe in one and if the other exists then so be it. Creation is obvious, while evolution is a theory that doesn't really come into play with Catholicism's theology. To a lot of protestant or fundamentalists its a huge problem though. If your religion needs to take a literalist approach to scripture then evolution is a boondoggle for you. The Bible is true, but without an authoritative interpreter you can make it say whatever your heart desires.

Pope St. Peter put it nicely: "There is no time with God: a thousand years, a single day: it all is one." - 2 Peter 3:8


I hope those nice ladies don't do more harm than good. Needless to say I didn't buy a subscription to that magazine. When I told them I was Catholic their eyes lit up. They might have thought "Oo, fresh meat." or "Yay, that means he agrees." Perhaps they were happy just not to have the door slammed in their face.


Note: I cannot find a link anywhere on the net for Awake magazine. Either I got the name wrong or it is so tiny they don't have any info about them on the web. I'll keep looking though...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should have doused them with magma

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton