Friday, October 27, 2006

Bean Shrine



I'm starting to think there might be a little problem. Working from home and boredom have led me to make coffee for something interesting to do. Its not like I'm hurting for work, but when the machine is just sitting out there for some reason I feel more productive when I'm brewing something.

It started out about a year ago. Waking up in the morning meant my morning coffee. After that I'd have maybe another cup after dinner to sort of keep me going strong until bed time. I actually do like coffee, I'm not just drinking it for caffeine sake. Now however its up to 5 or 6 cups per day, which is not healthy.

Lately I have been making more and more decaf - and in fact I am drinking half-caf right now. You can see it brewing in the photo above.

Problem is that because most of the time its not decaf or half-caf but full blast regular coffee and it tends to keep me up at night. (Up until 3am or so) Then I get up roughly around 8:30am. You do the math. It works out to being 5 1/2 hours per night which is taking its toll on me.

Therefore, I make a new resolution - No more regular coffee until I can handle it again in small amounts. Half-Caf and Decaf may apply.

6 comments:

Jeff Miller said...

But half and half will only leave you half awake.


Though I did switch to decaf years ago.

Matt said...

I'm probably going to be on that road soon.

(saying this as I'm on cup #3 of half-caf...)

Tim Robinson said...

I like the charge I get from regular coffee & regular soda, but decaf does me just fine, as does non-caff soda. I just load up my coffee with sugar. It's prob why I can't seem to get addicted to diet soda.

You should try something crazy for a change, go to sleep very early. I'm in bed most nights at 9:30-10pm, cause Tracy has to get up at 5:45, so I get myself up at 6:30 in order to get ready for the day and get the baby up at 7:15 to leave at 7:30. I'm always amazed how "energized" i feel the morning after I go to sleep very early. It makes my day so much better. If you have trouble sleeping, try melatonin.. it's a non habit forming natural tiny pill you can pick up at any drug store. It just makes you feel sleepy and helps you stay asleep, doesn't knock you out like sleeping pills (which freaks me out!). You should also try a coffee/drinks cut-off time. My producer friend Bob always made 9pm hit cutoff before producing the 10pm news, so when he got home at 11:30 he could get to bed, fall asleep and not have to get up to pee. Getting up to pee, for me, is an annoying problem that keeps me from falling asleep some nights... I drink way to much iced tea. I always brew decaf iced tea, but it's still a diuretic all the same.

Kate P said...

I love coffee, but there are times I do try to cut back on the caffeine. It was a bummer the other night when I really wanted a cup of coffee but I figured it was too late for it (I have to remedy that no decaf in the house thing soon).
This may sound like an odd suggestion but I notice you have a large coffeemaker. Believe it or not, I still have the same 4-cup I used in college. If it's not made I'm not tempted to drink it!
Good luck. :)

Anonymous said...

Just avoid any caffine after 12:00pm noon. Caffine can stay in your body for up to 12 hours, so just do regular caffine in the morning and decaf after noon.
I can relate, my reading habits have caused me to start staying up too late (about 1:00am) but I usually go to 6:30am Mass on weekdays.

Matt said...

I'm pretty much down to all half-caf now until after dinner, when its decaf.

I hadn't heard about the 12 hour thing though! Sometimes my body is exhausted but the mind won't sleep. Maybe thats why.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton