Friday, November 03, 2006

Photoblog: Nice things in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Today was the second day for our little seminar tour for work. We spent the day in Wilkes-Barre and knew several days ago that I meant to take an extended walk throughout the city to photograph some of the nice architecture. I have spent an extended amount of time there, spending two summers in the heart of the city for music camp in high school at Wilkes University. I took organ lessons as well at St. Stephens Episcopal and have relatives in the area.

But today I went searching for cool stuff to look at for the first time as a "tourist", if there be such a thing in northeast PA. Here's what I shot:


Our seminar was in the Gus Gennetti hotel.
This is a nifty picture of the fountain from one of the lobbies.




Walking around Wilkes-Barre I was particuarly interested in the churches. I found many denominations. This was the first Catholic parish I came across: St. James. I had my iPod blaring in my ears but quickly turned it off because as you can see, adoration was going on.
I joined them.



After some prayer and reflection before the Blessed Sacarament I continued on my way. This is the newly created/renovated business district in Wilkes-Barre. A lot of people thought this was impossible, but here it is! The brand new theater is open for business and it looks great.




The First Presbyterian Church of Wilkes-Barre. I love the outside of this church. Unfortunately the inside doesn't suite my taste (all white walls...). But I know for a fact the musicianship there is first rate. They often hold the yearly Messiah sing and their music director is a harpsichordist. I also know some of the people who attend there and they are also very nice.



The Irem Temple. Looks like a mosque, but its not. We went to concerts here when I was in middle school. If nothing else its a cool looking building.

3 comments:

Veritas said...

I wonder how many contributors to Catholic Answers are aware that almost the first $5,000 that gets sent into Catholic Answers each week goes straight into Karl Keating's pocket. I wonder how many more are aware that Catholic Answers pays a ghost writer over $65,000 a year to write "appeal letters." Funny, but every appeal letter that I have ever received from Catholic Answers was signed "Karl" and claimed to be "from the desk of Karl Keating." Why would Karl Keating, an author and an attorney, need a ghost writer anyway?

Click Here To See A Copy Of The Latest Tax Return Catholic Answers Filed With The IRS

Matt said...

Your comment is not germaine to my Photoblog for Wilkes-Barre, PA. Nor do I care.

Thanks for the comment spam.

Anonymous said...

Just having a browse!
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton