Monday, January 22, 2007

My Tribute to 48 Million Americans

I would be remiss in my duties as a Catholic blogger if I did not mention this horrid anniversary today. I know it is later than sooner but it will suffice nonetheless. Since this day in 1973, nearly 48,000,000 people (USA alone) have been wiped out before their first real breath was taken. Some were burned to death, others punctured with scissors, and some given drugs to stop their hearts from beating. This to some, is merciful, for reasons of economy, convenience, or "maturity".

I'd like to give some personal testimony of experiences I've had with abortion. Yes, personal experiences. Though I've never committed the act or encouraged anyone to do so, I've certainly been around it.

----

Story #1:
When I was in college, I went with a girl for 2 years who proudly worked for Planned Parenthood in town. I honestly thought little about it, though I did tell her in principle I was pro-life. (Though I would never judge anyone for it.) She would come back with stories which to her were "unfortunate" but to me sounded horrific. Still, I didn't say anything but just went with the flow. She would mention how the women would come in for their ultrasound. The workers there were taught to keep the women from seeing it or the would "Freak Out" as some had in the past. I heard stories about "parts" being left inside women after their abortions and having to "go back up inside" to retrieve them. Counted in the sink were the arms, legs, and little bodies of actual people snuffed out so that "Women's Rights" could be protected or because someone couldn't see past their own desires long enough to consider the bigger picture. Still, I said nothing, and just went with the flow. The relationship eventually ended and I just went on with my life. I haven't heard from her since. Which is fine.

Story #2:
A year or so later, when I was a super-senior at school, one of my friends approached me and asked for a favor. A girl whom he was good friends with needed a ride to Philadelphia. She didn't have a car of her own but I did. I kind of knew her but not so well. I asked him what she needed the ride for and he just kind of snickered and said "um...an abortion." I told him that I was sorry but I couldn't do it. Something inside of me kept me from participating in that act. Nevertheless, she did end up going. Later that night a bunch of us ended up going to our favorite late night spot, Denny's (of course). My friend called to go with us and he said he was bringing this girl with him. Not thinking much of it we all just kind of said sure whatever and lets go.

While sitting at the table the girl began to lactate, and it was very visible. Lactation happens after abortions because the body is under the impression a child has just been born. It was at that moment, combined with the graphic testimony of the now ex-girlfriend that I believe my position on the matter was solidified. This girl, sitting across the table was lactating. Lactation is a natural process that happens when Mother gives birth! Birth is not a bad thing, there is no reason to stop it. I went along with the jovial night as I recall but there was something so sad about it. I can't imagine that this girl was not wounded in the least. Her body was obviously reacting physically to what she had just done in a profound way.

Aborting a baby is nobody's right. So today, and tomorrow, and the next day, we remember the nearly 48 Million people whom you and I might have grown up with, been friends or co-workers with, or perhaps even married. 1/3 of this generation has been wiped out, legally, before its first breath.

We should pray for those women who have been damaged by abortions. Many today come forward with their stories of hurt and anguish. They seek help and redemption. Slowly but surely I believe this country will turn around and that we will define Life as beginning at conception. They can get help here: www.rachelsvineyard.org

We are not going to win this battle by hurling stones at people who don't agree with us. The fight will not be victorious by declaring the women who've had abortions or by coaxed into them as unredeemable sinners who have chosen their path straight to hell. No, they are to be loved and cared for just the same as everyone else. We can afford no vile or vitriol from our camp. It is true that many of the people who oppose us are vicious to be sure, but love will and must prevail.

Here are the Life Principles which the March for Life has asked us all to read and oblige ourselves to in the Pro-Life side:

  • We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all human beings are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, among which is the right to life, and
  • The right to life of each human being shall be presented and protected by every human being in the society and by the society as a whole, and
  • The life of each human being shall be preserved and protected from that human being's biological beginning when the Father's sperm fertilizes the Mother's ovum, and
  • The life of each human being shall be preserved and protected from the biological beginning throughout the natural continuum of the human being's life by all available ordinary means and reasonable efforts, and
  • The life of each human being shall be preserved and protected at each stage of the life continuum to the same extent as at each and every other stage regardless of state of health or condition of dependency, and
  • The life of each human being shall be preserved and protected to the same extent as the life of each and every other human being regardless of state of health or condition of dependency, and
  • When there is any doubt that there exists a human being's life to preserve and protect, such doubt shall be resolved In favor of the existence of a human being, and
  • When two or more human beings are in a situation in which their lives are mutually endangered, all available ordinary means and reasonable efforts shall be used to preserve and to protect the life of each and every human being so endangered.
  • WHEREFORE, Pursuant To These Principles, we recommend and urge the adoption of a Mandatory HUMAN LIFE AMENDMENT to the Constitution of the United States of America.

Recently, Bishop Martino of the Diocese of Scranton issued a pastoral letter on the Reverence for Life. Here is the link:

A Pastoral Letter from Bishop Martino
"True Love Equals Reverence for Life"

3 comments:

Moonshadow said...

Lactation happens after abortions because the body is under the impression a child has just been born.

I can only speak from the experience of live birth, not stillbirth, abortion or miscarriage, but it is my experience, four times now, that quantitative lactation takes a full five days postpartum to manifest itself. I mean, visibly, you know, "leaking" through undergarments, etc, as you describe.

So, while I can't question your experience from college of the girl noticeably lactating in the evening following her abortion, Matt, I also can't reconcile it with my own considerably more recent experience ... just about a month now.

Matt said...

Hi Moonshadow,

Yeah, if thats the case then she must have been a rapid case. I'm in no way an expert in this field. I just know what she told us at the table and that she had JUST had the abortion, that day - not several days earlier.

Could it perhaps be that something to do with the drugs they gave her caused it?

Moonshadow said...

Could it perhaps be that something to do with the drugs they gave her caused it?

Yes, could be.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton