Friday, January 19, 2007

Regardless of your Gas and Electric Bill

I had an appointment this morning which prevented me from eating breakfast like I normally would. So around 11:30 I got around to it when I returned. The news is eternally depressing, so I quickly changed the channel in the kitchen over to EWTN. Mother and the nuns were on praying the rosary (which is a recording). I've got nothing against that whatsoever but still I had to flip again. I came across the INSP channel, which is a nondenominational Christian channel. Except for the Mass from St. Ann's Basilica in Scranton, all they show is health and wealth gospel.

Some woman named Paula was on telling everyone along with some man that if you gave to her ministry, that this was the year God would fulfill all of his promises for you. The slogan: "As it is in heaven, so will it be in '07." Just give your life to God and your money to her ministry. She was giving scripture references but its not like it mattered. All out of context and not worthy of much more study anyway, it was like a super dumbed down sermon.

From her website: (PaulaWhite.org)
(Emphasis Mine)

I have a word for you that will impact your entire year and transform you in ways you could never imagine in 2007.

You have a “promise to come” from the Lord for the New Year, one that includes a release of blessings for your well being . . . your spirit . . . your soul . . . your body . . . your marriage . . . your relationships . . . and your finances.

Are you ready to prosper and succeed in 2007? The promise I’m talking about is wrapped up in a principle of faith and obedience that God established from the beginning, and it’s one of the most life-changing principles in Scripture.

God’s Principle of First Fruits.

First fruits in Hebrew is “bikkurim” and literally means “promise to come.” Too many promises mean too little in this world. But there is ONE who never breaks His promise — God! That is why the truth behind this “promise to come” in God’s Word is so powerful.

By putting God first, you keep the main thing, the main thing. I believe what you do with your “first” in the opening days and weeks of 2007 will greatly determine your entire year.

I encourage you to give God your best first fruits offering today! Many people give a week’s salary, others a day’s, but everyone gives their very best offering!

Put God first in 2007!


I found a clip on YouTube, and its really rough. But at least you'll see how incoherent she is. I haven't heard anything like this in a LONG time, so I don't know if I was just stunned and mortified (like rubber necking on the highway) or if the fancy set and lighting and her tone hypnotized me. Needless so say, I will not be giving my "First Fruits".

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT PAULA?




Mother Angelica used to ask everyone to remember EWTN between their gas and electric bill. Even on the website, this is a little reminder. But there is NOTHING like this on EWTN. There are no constant giving banners at the bottom of the screen, nobody constantly asking for money. Every once in a while as we would expect there is a short 10 second spot that says "EWTN is brought to you by you, if you would like to make a donation please write to ..... "

Apparently these other people are a lot less humble.

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton