Sunday, February 04, 2007

Deluxe God

Preparing for Lent, the parish I attend is running a series of homilies on the ten commandments. Its a good way for everyone to examine their conscience running up to the most important time of the year I think.

Anyway - this morning during the homily the priest was talking about Commandment #1: Thou shalt have no other Gods before me. He ran through a list of sins attached to this commandment and then launched into what I would call a "calm tirade" about respecting the different rites of the Catholic Church (there being 28). He said that all the rites of course are legitimate, none being any more important that another. Going on, and on, he mentioned that the Church cannot ever promulgate a rite that would be invalid because it goes against the indefectability of the Church. Then the best line of the day came, which I paraphrase loosely here:

We enjoy our traditional latin mass because of all the externals and it helps us get closer to God, etc. But we do not get some "deluxe God" by doing so. Its all the same God.

A woman in front of me and a few others (including myself) let out audible chuckles. I don't think I'm recreating the line well enough here, but trust me, it was funny.

Anyway, happy Septuagesima Sunday!

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton