Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hold the spaghetti please.

This is but my second celebrated lent. Last year I gave up soda, didn't quite understand the fasting laws but tried to remember to abstain from meat on Fridays. This year is quite different now that I know what I'm doing.

This year's sacrifice: pasta. I hope nobody out there is thinking "oh big deal". It is a big deal. Pasta is a staple of my diet. In this house we eat some sort of pasta dish 3 out of 5 nights a week. Its in our soups, in Chinese food, etc. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 2 years ago we began buying the low-carb pasta, which tastes the same as the normal stuff.

Last night my pastor was absent from Mass but (I believe) the district superior for the FSSP celebrated along with another priest. He refreshed us on all the rules and asked us to keep the traditional 40 day (all inclusive) fast. Don't know if I can do that with my diabetes but I'll certainly do my best. We'll have to see how my blood sugar does with a lot less food. If it begins to drop through the floor then the fast will be modified.

I am happy to make the sacrifice and share just a little bit in Our Lord's suffering. After all, he gave his life and comfort. Whats a little pasta?

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton