Thursday, March 29, 2007

Adding the Luminous, to fit the week.

I know as a traditionalist I'm supposed to view the Luminous mysteries are "iffy". But as a new Catholic I've never known a time period when they didn't exist. One time a priest asked me "what I thought about them." I said I don't mind them and thought they were nice. He said Our Lady knew what she was doing when she gave us the Rosary. He's entitled to his opinion and its ok. JPII only suggested them. ...so anyway...

I'm fine with them. And the blog will reflect that, especially since I think they fit so nicely in this time period of reflection before my confirmation. Next week therefore will be devoted to the Sorrowful Mysteries (which makes sense) and then the Glorious Mysteries will extend into East week. Got that? On with the Luminous...

1 comment:

The Colossus said...

I've come to appreciate them. I like to meditate on John the Baptist being a model of humility (as well as a martyr, truly a complete saint), the Wedding at Cana, where we see Mary for the first time as an intercessor, the Sermon on the Mount, the Transfiguration, and the Eucharist. Although the new mysteries do go against the tradition of the 150 Hail Marys as being the Psalter of Mary, the common practice of saying 5 decades a day has largely supplanted the older devotion, and the period of the public ministry of Christ is certainly a worthy addition of things to ponder. Plus, given JP II's devotion to the BVM, I think he probably had some guidance on it.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton