Sunday, March 25, 2007

JM#2: Guess who's coming to dinner?

The Visitation

Luke 1:41-44

And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: 42 And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.



We've all gotten the questions over the years. They change depending on how old you are or what your state in life is, but going to your relatives on a holiday generally produces something like this:

"So what are you doing these days?" "Where are you working?" (etc etc.)

These are not bad to ask and they make a lot of sense really. We could easily avoid this sort of awkward questioning by keeping in closer contact with each other. But I digress...

When Mary went to visit her cousin Elizabeth scripture tells us that her infant "leaped in her womb". Mary, Elizabeth, and John the Baptist new from the beginning who Christ was. There was no need for asking or an awkward first 15 minutes of conversation. That knowledge was known even from womb to womb. Christ was the same from beginning to end. At 27 I still don't even know what I want to be in this life. As with most folks (presumably) I am restless and much of the time uncomfortable in my own skin. As St. Augustine put it "my heart is restless, until it rests in thee."

Christ's heart was never restless since he knew who he was from the beginning. That sort of stability is comforting as we move through life so restless in our own ways.

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton