Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Music to my ears and light on my wallet.

I've made a few music purchases recently. Most of them I find for just a couple bucks (like Naxos editions). All four are awesome in their own way. If you've read this blog for even a week you can probably deduce that I'm an early music freak. Amazon.com and the always improving iTunes music store are dangerous places for people like me.

Anyway, here some awesome CDs I recently bought nearly dirt cheap:

The Rose, the Lily & the Whortleberry
(Medieval Gardens in Music)
This is the only "expensive" CD of the group. It came with (inside) an awesome little book with lyrics and explanations for each country of origin.







Praetorius
Dances from Terpsichore and Others


These are dances written by Praetorius, who wrote largely for Protestants in the late Renaissance. (In spite of his big Latin name.) This CD is a lot of fun to listen to and kinda makes me want to drop everything and dance a galliard right here at my desk.




Music for a Medieval Banquet

This is a compilation CD I bought from iTunes for $5.99 so it was well worth it. This is dinner music 1300s style and its fantastic.

When I was in college I participated in the Collegium Musicum. We actually put on a medieval banquet and provided the music and character acting (yes, all dressed up - I was the friar, appropriately I guess.) I saw this for so little cash and naturally pressed the buy button with little hesitation.



Allegri: Miserere
The Tallis Scholars

This is supposedly the best recording of this piece and one that I might actually get to perform in the not so distant future. It is in my choir book (not the Liber) and I'm crossing my fingers with anticipation to get to do it. It is a beautiful CD and there are other pieces on it besides the Miserere.

3 comments:

Chrissy Joy said...

Hey matt, are those CDs awesome? ;)

Chris said...

Are you familiar with the Faure: Requiem.

I know it's a funeral Mass but it is one of my favorite albums. I have the entire thing on my ipod and it is easily the most played thing on it.

I performed it with the University Choir in college. It was one of my first encounters with the music of the Church and had a impact on my entire conversion experience.

Darwin said...

Another great, inexpensive recording is this Naxos recording of two Palestrina masses, which I recently picked up on Amazon (needing to bring an order up to the free shipping mark) for six dollars.

The recordings are quite decent. The Missa Papae Marcelli is justly his most famous work. The other mass is less often heard, but quite good as well.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton