Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Relearning the Neumes



I have recently picked up the task of relearning my chant neumes. This is something I studied at school but haven't touched since. Four years later I have confirmed the old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it." Well I remember the general concepts from my Medieval Music Theory class but not good enough to actually sight read the music.

Irony, or perhaps Providence presented to me on the very day (yesterday) I went looking for some online help in the matter, a post on the New Liturgical Movement linking to a PDF of an entire textbook for this very purpose.

And yes, I do have a reason for re-learning this for which I'm pretty excited. Sometime next week I'll be posting about it but I don't want to be presumptuous until I know exactly whats going on.

Learning to Chant.

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton