Friday, March 23, 2007

T Minus 15 Days

I'm just 15 days away from my confirmation! As Chris from Calling Rome Home & Catholic Converts blogs noted - he wasn't even aware that I hadn't been received into the Church yet. So I'm guessing others missed that as well. If you did...then surprise!

I've got all kinds of thoughts running through my head about it. Excitement, anticipation, joy, and even a little nervousness too. I don't think every one of my friends/relatives was the keenest to the idea of me becoming a Catholic. But nevertheless I worked out the kinks I had with the Church in my head a long time ago.

This is a good time to begin a series of meditations on the mysteries of the Rosary. Consider it a "group" thing if you'd like to join in. For some of you I know its going to be a bit weird if you aren't Catholic or Christian so I'll keep them as short as possible. These are just little tidbits of where my mind is at while praying the Rosary and my thoughts on each mystery. I am not professing to have any kind of glorious knowledge on anything, but I've been called on the carpet for being mean here on my blog and thought this might clear the air a little and help prepare my conscience for my next big step.

I figured there are 3 traditional sets with 5 mysteries in each, so that comes to 15. (15 days left...) Feel free to leave your personal thoughts on each in the comment box. You don't have to be a Catholic or even a "Rosary regular" to do so. We'll begin with the Joyful Mysteries.


2 comments:

The Colossus said...

I often think about Mary's free will in the Annunciation. Had she simply refused the clearly stated will of God, Jesus Christ would not have been born into the world -- assuming God did not have a backup plan. Which means that Mary, in effect, could have denied mankind salvation through a simple exercise of her free will. I think that she must have known, at some level, that acceptance of God's will would bring her pain and suffering -- certainly she would be aware of the social stigma of being (potentially) an unwed mother, and certainly she was familiar with the stories of the Old Testament and would know that closeness to God means, at the minimum, a number of trials (consider Abraham being asked to sacrifice Isaac, the tribulations of Job, or Moses having to renounce his station in the world to lead the Jews out of captivity). She must have known that although God was promising her joy, there would also be misery with it -- I always think about the Presentation at the Temple, where Simeon tells her her heart will be pierced with a sword (or consider the pain and anguish that Christ's passion must have meant for her). So for me, the Annunciation is always joy tempered with a degree of righteous fear -- obedience to God's will always has the worry of what one will have to suffer. Mary made the right choice, and trusted God even though the implications may have been frightening to her. For this we are forever in her debt.

The Colossus said...

I think I posted my comment in the wrong place . . . sorry.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton