Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Weekend Happenings

I feel like its been a year since I've put up a post, but its only been since last Thursday. I wanted to share a couple of experiences from my weekend though, since I have deemed them blog-worthy.

Several of you know that I went to Virginia this past weekend for my fraternity's province-wide workshop. I go to these events because I am the alumni coordinator in the area. I'll also admit that they are a great time as well. Its great to get together with my brothers over a weekend. But I digress...

Our province governor is a Catholic priest, so that makes things nice too. I actually arrived a little early to stuff packets full of alumni propaganda when he walked in. He mentioned that the gentleman at the hotel desk was a long lost alumni brother who was also a protestant minister considering conversion to the Catholic faith. What a score!

It was great because we had a chance to witness to him in the lobby for about a half hour on Saturday night. He and Father were talking about homiletics and the ministry. I joined in the conversation part way through and we talked about conversion and dealing with our families' objections. As a minister he is a leader in his community which makes it harder, so I gave him the address for the Coming Home Network Intl.

I was also able to go to mass on early Sunday morning with another brother who has recently returned to attending mass. The church was modern but nice, certainly not one of the ultra modern liberal type freak buildings you see bemoaned across the Catho-sphere. I did see at least one woman in a chapel veil...but...

She walked out of the back of the church after communion with half of the congregation. HALF of the people there walked out the back right after receiving. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? It drives me nuts to see that. Can you imagine going to someones house for dinner, eating with them and then getting up in silence and just walking out without saying anything? Your host would think you were the rudest person they'd ever invited. (And rightly so.) Then why do we treat Our Lord like that?

I asked my priest friend there about where this practice started from. He told me it was because they were ignorant and that the practice may have begun in the middle ages when some people believed in "rude corporeality". That is a term I'd not heard before. I looked it up in the Catholic Encyclopedia but couldn't find anything. Apparently it means that they believed the Eucharist was the actual flesh of Christ, and not the body, blood, soul, and divinity we know of today. I assume this means some believed they were essentially eating his arm or leg part. Eating more of Christ meant your were more holy, so they would walk out after communion and hop to another parish to receive more. This led to rules stating you could only receive a certain amount of times per day. This makes sense to me, but I wonder what others think...

Yet another thing from this weekend was that another brother called me and let me know he had a great time with his family at a Scott Hahn talk on Saturday afternoon. Man, so much happened this weekend! You'd think I didn't spend any time with my fraternity at all!

4 comments:

Timothy said...

Maybe "All The Christ You Can Eat" would bring more people in?

Matt said...

Um. Yeah, I'm gonna leave that one alone.

Chris said...

Gald to here that your ΦΜΑ province workshop went well. Sounds like an interesting weekend.

I should probably be more involved as an alumni.

Marisa said...

HA! I was raised on leaving mass after communion...it's a relatively common practice to those who don't take the religion as seriously as you do ;)

All the Christ You Can Eat would totally have worked!

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton