Monday, March 26, 2007

JM#3: Our Lord's First Smile

We'll cover two of the Joyful Mysteries today since I skipped yesterday.

The Nativity of Our Lord
Luke 2:11 - For, this day is born to you a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord, in the city of David.

A short meditation because it doesn't take many words for me to express my feelings towards this mystery. When I contemplate the nativity of our Lord the only image that needs to come to my mind is that of Christ as a baby giving his mother his first smile.


If you've ever held a baby and had it smile at you (which is just about everyone) then you have felt those warm fuzzies. Now picture Christ smiling at his mother for the first time while she held him. Its an infinitely beautiful act of love. One both in and outside of time.

4 comments:

Timothy said...

Just wanted to point out that most baby's don't actually smile until at least 4-6 weeks... and on average 1-3 months before they actually smile because they are generally happy or are reacting to your smiles/facial expressions/voice/presence... I've seen baby books call this "smile talk"
Sorry if this poo-poo's your point, but as a new father... it's the stuff I know. :)

Moonshadow said...

I'll second what timothy said, 2-3 mos.

Actually, my 3 mos. old daughter sticks her tongue out at me ... sometimes curling it, which means she wants to eat!

But was our Lord slightly ahead of the curve?

Matt said...

I have no idea if Jesus was slightly ahead or not. :-)

But I don't think it hurts my meditation of picturing him being joyful in his mother's arms, does it?

I am reading Fulton Sheen's "Life of Christ" and he talks a lot about how the cross shadowed the crib. Picturing him joyful as a child in his mother's arms is a very picturesque comparison to the Pieta I think.

Moonshadow said...

One of my favorite works of art is the Pieta because even in her overwhelming sorrow, Mary holds the lifeless body of her Son in such an open way as if to continue to share Him with all on-lookers.

Consider how any other mother would hold her dead child tightly to herself. Mary knows better.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton