Monday, July 09, 2007

Motu Appropriate

I was away this weekend for a wedding so this is the first chance I have gotten to make any sort of comment on the Motu Proprio. For that matter I have decided not to. The blogosphere has been saturated with comments and clarifications by much more learned men than I. Therefore this blog will hold off on any kind of comments regarding the docs until we see some of the fruits of its message and law begin to blossom around the world.

I was blessed this weekend with the opportunity to assist (attend) at Mass 3 times over the weekend, once in the extraordinary form, once at a wedding, and of course regular Sunday mass in West Chester.

I will comment on the Mass in West Chester, which was celebrated according to the ordinary form. There was no mention of the Motu Proprio there - so be it. However being that my personal parish is run by the FSSP everyone after mass makes their thanksgiving for several minutes. In this church in West Chester once the priest and procession are gone you'd think they opened the cattle doors. The congregation gets up, begins to jabber loudly, and in one giant mess of people they herd out the doors. Making my thanksgiving after mass was impossible. After being rushed out of the pew by a kindly old lady, whom I obliged in charity, I decided just to leave because it was so loud anyway. While walking out there were a few people still sitting there actually making the wait for the rest of the parishoners to leave. Bless them. I could easily see the fact that they were suffering through the rudeness of the others.

I have more comments but I'll keep them inside because as Jesus said from the cross, "forgive them Father, for they know not what they do." However, I am finding it more and more difficult to attend there and keep my ability not to be irritated with things. I pray that soon they will offer the extraordinary form of the Mass.

2 comments:

Marisa said...

Hehe...you are such a Catholic snob. Be happy the people are in a church at all. Who are you to nitpick how they choose to worship?

Matt said...

Being happy someone is there at all is an regular argument for the shorts and tank-top crowd. I am happy they are there though and I would like to clarify that it is not necessarily their fault.

The priests need to do a better job explaining to people what is appropriate and what is not.

I'm actually pretty tolerant. In fact you'll notice that I cut myself off. The problem comes in that I actually care about what is going on around me and it bothers me to see people (whoever they are) disrespecting the Mass.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton