Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What?! Two books in a month?

I finished 2 full books inside of a month! Somehow I managed to push television out of my view long enough to read what are absolutely 2 of the best tomes which have graced my book shelf. One is almost 800 years old and the other a young 77.

I cannot recommend these enough. I can't even do them justice by writing a review.

The Life of St. Francis by St. Bonaventure

This book was commissioned by the Order of Friars Minor to be written by St. Bonaventure. It is filled with stories from St. Francis' life. It will give you the man Francis the way his friars knew him. Absolutely amazing. It may change the way you live, and definitely the way you think.





The Divine Romance
- Fulton J. Sheen

I finished this book in just 2 days. Its not long but it is extremely powerful. He begins from square one on why we believe in God and takes you all the way to the Cross. He explains in just a few chapters God, Creation, the Trinity, and the Church. Particularly the last two chapters are the best. They could have been written today, if anyone could match the greatness of Fulton Sheen's words. The book is not widely available anymore but you can still buy it on Amazon. I found my copy on the shelf of a used book store.


You cannot go wrong with these two books.

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton