Thursday, August 02, 2007

Galatians 5:12 Sermon? :-)

We've all heard sermons by priests and ministers which revolve around a single verse of scripture, right? Some of them can go on for an hour (or more) weaving their ways around Biblical passages to make just one point. The best ones can make an hour seem like 5 minutes. Well in the comments section Moonshadow left this yesterday (as fun, for sure):

Galatians 5:12 (Contemporary English Version)

12I wish that everyone who is upsetting you would not only get circumcised, but would cut off much more!


... to which my first reaction was laughter. Out of context it is extremely funny. Some of you are probably LOL-ing at the moment. My second thought was "man that would make an interesting sermon." Ponder that one.

2 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I hunted for a translation that put Paul's words "just so," hence the CEV.

I meant it in all sincerely: I hope the negative comments "drop off" as a result of your policy.

But, please, put the verse in context for us, then, Matt, if you would.

Moonshadow said...

I hunted for a translation that put Paul's words "just so," hence the CEV.

I meant it in all sincerely: I hope the negative comments "drop off" as a result of your policy.

But, please, put the verse in context for us, then, Matt, if you would.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton