Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Liturgy of the Hours Success

Recently I began saying the single volume Liturgy of the Hours "Christian Prayer". I've been into it for just about a month now and its really been of great spiritual benefit. Even my "trad" friends have confessed to their genuine appreciation of the new breviary. Apparently, save for the abysmal Grail Translation Psalms in the American version, the structure of the Hours was greatly improved. I do have one volume of the pre-Conciliar (Autumnalis) Office but I don't use it because, frankly, its all in Latin. Although, there is an upcoming Latin-English release...

Regardless, the Liturgy of the Hours has been a real anchor for me. It sustained me on my 2 week trip and now that I'm back it continues to lead the way in my prayer. Looking forward to feast days and solemnities actually means more to me now. For those that don't say the Hours they might never get the opportunity to do anything in commemoration of a particular feast unless you attend Mass on their day. But with the Hours there are readings and prayers to go along with everything.

Oh btw, I haven't given up on the Little Office either. On "regular" days it is nice to use my Baronius edition.

4 comments:

Bosco said...

The one volume office I use is Benedictine Daily Prayer - it includes all the readings

I run a spirituality and liturgy website: www.liturgy.co.nz
with a monastic flavour, an increasing focus on the Liturgy of the Hours, even a virtual Chapel:

http://www.liturgy.co.nz/

liturgy said...

LOTH resources, links, and practical suggestions now updated at: http://www.liturgy.co.nz/ofthehours/resources.html

Advent blessings

liturgy said...

Greetings

I have been working hard to provide a simple introduction for those starting out on praying the Liturgy of the Hours. This is what I have prepared:
http://www.liturgy.co.nz/ofthehours/introduction.html
I would be happy to receive any constructive suggestions to make this a better starting resource. I will incorporate suggestions if they appear helpful – and if other suggestions don’t say the opposite ☺

Please consider placing a link called “Liturgy of the Hours” or “Liturgy of the Hours (ecumenical)” to http://www.liturgy.co.nz/ofthehours/resources.html

Blessings on your venture

Francis Carmelle T. Duero said...

Read Laszlo Dobszay book on the Reform of the Divine office (available over the Musica Sacra website).

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton