Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Update from the Road

Just a little update from my road trip. Last night I stayed in an amazing hotel up near Erie, PA in Cambridge Springs. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to visit the Riverside Inn once a year for business and trust me when I say it is a great (re)treat. There are no televisions or telephones in the rooms. Just a comfy bed, ancient furniture, a bathroom and a lamp and chair.

So what did I do with my quiet time? I read, a lot. Several chapters from the First Life of St. Francis, 1st Timothy (straight through), a little form the Glories of Mary, and even managed to quietly recite vespers, the office of readings, and compline. I was so thrilled to be able to sit in the quiet and read. Take a look at the link and view the pictures. A stay there is worth it for the furniture alone. Visions of "Into Great Silence" filled my thoughts...heh.

Last night was also my first snow of the year. In Erie they apparently got up to 6 inches in some places. We had nasty big wet snow almost all day long. Thankfully none of it stuck to the roads. It made everything wet and cold however.

Tonight I went to the Grove City Outlets and bought a bunch of stuff. (clothes mostly) It was a good time. I even managed to pick up a $3 copy of the "Little Flowers of Saint Francis" from a bargain bookstore. Last week while in Lancaster I bought a pair of those rubber shoes known as "crocs" because WebMD told me they are now being recommended for diabetics. BEST SHOES EVER. I paid $54 for my pair of "normal" looking crocs and after a day and a half my feet felt like I had nails sticking up through my soles. Ouch right? Well I went to sleep on day two, woke up, and after I got dressed put my feet into what had turned into two "shoe-pillows of mercy." Since that time I must tell you my $54 shoes now feel like I should have paid $200 for them. They are that awesome.

On another (somewhat related) note, before my trip I received my copy of the Little Office from Baronius. Here's my review: Nice.

2 comments:

K said...

Hi Matt,
I found your blog by way of someone visiting my blog! I am enjoying reading about you and your journey into the Church. Welcome, though I know it's very late. It is good to have you in our ranks!

I am going to highlight your blog on mine today.

Blessings and Peace,
Karen

Matt said...

Thanks for the comment and the highlight Karen!

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton