Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Beginning the "City of God"

Border's loves to send me coupons and I love to use them. Its rare that I buy a book at full price anymore unless its something I really need and can't get elsewhere. Last weekend I bought (with a coupon) Saint Augustine's City of God and immediately dove in.

When I first read the St. Augustine's Confessions one of the things that struck me was how much I felt like I was reading a contemporary writer and not someone 1600 years old. The same feeling is present in the City of God. Perhaps that is due to so many of the similarities with our culture and the time of the complete collapse of Rome. I realize we aren't getting any invaders (yet) from the North or anything so I am mainly speaking about the culture.

Read this book.

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton