Friday, May 23, 2008

Corpus Christi Blessing

God doesn't always work on our time but when we allow ourselves to work on his the results are always grand.  That being said, isn't it funny that I am beginning my volunteer work as the adoration chapel on the Saturday, the transferred Vigil of Corpus Christi?  God in fact covered all the bases seeing as I was trained on Wednesday, which is the traditional Vigil of Corpus Christi.

I am sort of overwhelmed by this grace because not only have I the opportunity to do this regularly but in fact I have been given the duty to close up at the end of the night.  In other words I will be reposing the Blessed Sacrament when I leave, locking up, etc.

Yes, reposing the Blessed Sacrament.  At first I was (and still am) a little wary of doing this.  I consulted no less than 2 Priests, the Code of Canon Law, Catholic Answers Forums, and the lady in charge.    It all comes down to this:  If the Bishop says you can do it, you can do it.  In this case when I consulted the lady in charge she assured me we had permission to do this as long as we were trained and did it reverently.  She was also happy I asked since it showed my level of knowledge or piety or however she put it.  At any rate, apparently the group has permission from the Bishop to Expose and Repose.

I really cannot wait to get into the chapel and be one on one with Our Lord.  Like I mentioned a few days ago, the chapel is very tiny.  You are never more than 10 feet away from the monstrance no matter where you sit.  There are all kinds of things swirling in my head.  What do I mean by that?  Well for one just being there is a huge grace, but I'm also excited to have a time dedicated each week when I can do spiritual and scriptural reading before Our Lord.   I will certainly be using the time to pray Matins for Sundays from the Monastic Breviary.  (I never ever get up early enough on Sunday to accomplish that.)   I am really most excited about being able to read scripture before Our Lord.  A few weeks ago at my own parish I read the entire Epistle of James during the holy hour and and it was a great experience.  James, by the way, is my "favorite book of the Bible" since it was drilled into my head during Presbyterian Sunday School.  James is not the most "Presbyterian book" I can think of, but I digress...

I have also learned a few more details about the group.  It is extremely organized and has over 100 adorers.  They have team leaders, division leaders, and a host of substitutes on call to fill in for vacancies.  But the most impressive part of this chapel is the hand carved altar which the tabernacle and monstrance reside.  One of the adorers does woodworking and donated a personally carved altar.  I don't have a picture, maybe I'll take one sometime.  The gentleman also does little crosses/crucifixes and gives them out for no money at all.  There's more but I leave it at this for now.  Needless to say, the whole place is a labor of love.  Should it be anything else?

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton