Friday, June 13, 2008

Books on the Way

(Formerly titled Ancitipation on Fridays, I don't know why. I think I half typed the title and just left it without editing or finishing. Nevertheless...)

When something is coming in the mail I become like a kid on Christmas Eve. I am expecting several books today from TAN Publishers and its not so much what they are but the fact that they are coming that has me excited. I never ordered directly from TAN in the past so I figured giving them a try to test their shipping time was a good idea.

TAN is awesome if for no other reason than it has hundreds of books to choose from at prices affordable by even the cheapest of misers. My order consists of a few mini-books on different topics.

1. Bible Quizzes
"86 Questions and Answers on the Bible--its history, various versions, Protestant vs. Catholic attitude toward it, its proper interpretation, the role of Tradition, etc. Every Catholic should be familiar with these basic apologetic questions, so they can defend the Faith whenever the modern world assaults it! (This product can also be purchased as part of the following set: Quizzes to a Street Preacher Set.)"


The following two I ordered because there are people at my parish who say "Someday they are going to declare that man a saint!" They are talking about Michael Davies, an ardent defender of "tradition." I have yet to dive into his work and this will be my board.


2. A Short History of the Roman Mass - Michael Davies
A short, authoritative, enthralling history of the Roman Mass from the Last Supper to the "Tridentine Mass" as said today. Covers Low Mass, Sacramentaries, other Western Rites, etc. Highlights the reforms of Popes St. Gregory the Great (590-604) and St. Pius V (1566-1572). Says neither "reform" produced a "new" liturgy.


3. Liturgical Shipwreck - Michael Davies
The world's foremost author on the liturgical changes documents the disaster to faith and Mass attendance caused by the Novus Ordo. Written with utmost respect, he says, nonetheless, "Facts cannot be loyal or disloyal, and the facts concerning the collapse of Mass attendance are, alas, only too true." Firm in its conclusion we must return to the traditional Mass. A must for all!

4. Confession: Its Fruitful Practice
"This wonderful and practical little book explains clearly and thoroughly how to make a good Confession but in much greater detail than covered in most catechisms. It includes an examination of conscience; contrition and its necessary qualities; the purpose of amendment and its necessary qualities; avoiding the near occasion of sin; the actual Confession of sins to the priest; and the penance given by the priest."


I don't mind giving TAN some free publicity. My next purchase is below. Its not really what I would call a "textual" concordance but a topical one. Maybe I'm the mixed up one though. When I first saw this months ago I passed over it because I already have the classic and well loved Strong's Exhaustive Concordance (KJV) which I got for pennies on the dollar at a local wholesaler store. It holds up well with the Douay-Rheims bible. But this is different, being topical and containing the full verse for each citation, you don't need to put one massive book down while trying to flip to a page in another.

Update: They didn't show up today. Time to move on with my life. I just realized it is coming from the Midwest so perhaps that is the problem with all the flooding and everything. Although I would think the Chicago area would still have mail...

A Textual Concordance of Holy Scripture

"Alphabetical; topic-by-topic selection of passages from the Bible; originally compiled to help priests prepare sermons. Over 1;900 topics and 18;000 actual Bible verses! Unlike other concordances; this one quotes the actual passages in full. Unparalleled introduction to Bible reading. A quick way to learn just what the Bible says on a host of topics. Truly a one volume Bible study course and a great aid to unlocking the true Catholic meaning of Scripture. Great for reference. Impr. 848 pgs; PB"

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton