Monday, June 30, 2008

Philothea

Just started Philothea aka Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. Its been sitting on my shelf for a year and I never looked at it. Shame on me! What a great book for the new Catholic. Its almost like a catechism on Catholic life so far. Spiritual direction in book form.

I wish I had a spiritual director but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking. We're getting 2 new priests for my parish soon but it seems they are pretty newly ordained. Everyone I've heard mention it agrees that experienced priests are the best ones. And even then the picking is slim. Some feel comfortable doing it and others don't.

I once asked my (former) Pastor about lay people being spiritual directors and if I can loosely quote him he said, "Its not the same thing." I think he's right. How could it be?

For now I rely on the saints.

4 comments:

michaelsbradleyjr said...

Quick question (I didn't have a link to email you directly): I'm praying the D.O. using the Monastic Diurnal from St. Michael's Abbey Press and it doesn't have the Feast of the Precious Blood (tomorrow, 7/1) in its calendar -- do you know what psalms, etc. should be used? Thanks for your help.

michaelsbradleyjr said...

Quick question (I didn't have a link to email you directly): I'm praying the D.O. using the Monastic Diurnal from St. Michael's Abbey Press and it doesn't have the Feast of the Precious Blood (tomorrow, 7/1) in its calendar -- do you know what psalms, etc. should be used? Thanks for your help.

Matt said...

Yup. How odd. It is in the matins edition however. The LA Press matins runs from an older calendar. I'll ask on the forums. Say how do you like the breviary?

Matt said...

Hi Michael,

The group is on Yahoo. Here is the URL:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/benedictinematins/

Have a good one.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton