Friday, July 11, 2008

Automobile Blues

The other day after coming out of daily Mass my car refused to start. Oh it bucked and whinnied but never got enough juice to actually start. I had to have it towed to a garage where they gave me the diagnosis: The engine is caput. Car is dead unless I want to put over $800 into an 11 year old car.

It was a good car. Not fancy, but a good car. Now I am faced with the reality of having to buy a new one (ahem, New for Me one.) My financial situation right now can be categorized as "Not Awesome" for various reasons.

So if at all possible say a quick prayer that I'll be able to remedy my current dilemma without much pain. Thanks everyone.

5 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I know the feeling, Matt. I hope you find something reasonable.

And be suspicious of a dealer-supplied CARFAX report ... a Volvo dealer gave my husband a doctored-up one that omitted an accident.

Your sidebar poll is funny, very funny.

lvschant said...

How much more life could you expect out of it if you did put the $800 into it? I doubt you could get a 'good car' anywhere else for $800... If it could be counted upon to get you where you need to go for another couple of years, perhaps the $800 is well spent?

Matt said...

Moonshadow: thanks for the carfax pointer. My uncle is the dealer though in this case and he treats us good. The last car I got... Which was this one now defunct lasted 7 years and he gave me no choice in the matter. Laf. Let's just say he kindly directs the family away from cars that look good only on the outside. I'm glad you liked the poll btw. It still makes chuckle...sad eh?

Lvschant: good point. I'm going to have to take that into consideration. 800 bucks now or 200 a month Gor the next 4 years... Hrm... The car is a 97 and everyone around me is saying junk it.

Matt said...

Moonshadow: thanks for the carfax pointer. My uncle is the dealer though in this case and he treats us good. The last car I got... Which was this one now defunct lasted 7 years and he gave me no choice in the matter. Laf. Let's just say he kindly directs the family away from cars that look good only on the outside. I'm glad you liked the poll btw. It still makes chuckle...sad eh?

Lvschant: good point. I'm going to have to take that into consideration. 800 bucks now or 200 a month Gor the next 4 years... Hrm... The car is a 97 and everyone around me is saying junk it.

Moonshadow said...

If someone votes "No" then I'll really laugh.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton