Friday, August 08, 2008

"The Cardinal's Setback"

As I said on this blog previously, I have been reading a lot about the Second Vatican Council.  I’ve stepped up the pace recently and some of the things I’ve been finding are interesting.  It is tiresome and harmful to the faith to just take what others say regarding the Council as de fide.  What happens is that you get a skewed sense of the reality. 

 

I have found out a couple things.  First, a lot of the Second Vatican Council is very traditional.  Or at least it seems that it is.   What I’ve noticed happening is that as you read a document from beginning to end there is a feeling of “hey, this is pretty good, sure, this is edifying, I’m learni----BAM---- , um what did I just read?”    There are a few sentences in there that hit you like a ton of bricks.  It reminds of the old “one of these things is not like the other” games on TV. 

 

Anyway, I took to reading the “Ottaviani Intervention” which is extremely edifying to me eyes.  To see the courage of a man who headed the Holy Office, and nearly blind as well, to stand up for the faith yet remain loyal to the Church is quite something.  I recommend reading it if you already have not.  I printed it and it took 12 pages, or you can buy it from TAN for $4.00.  I might just do that too. 

 

I found an article from TIME Magazine about Cardinal Ottaviani’s struggles from 1962.  …very interesting… I think it shows with glaring certainty what must have been the overall image of the Council given by the secular press during those years.  NO WONDER the “changes” happened so quickly and so violently.  Back then, and even up to the 80s, the mainstream media was pretty much the only thing out there. 

 

Here’s the TIME link:

The Cardinal’s Setback

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,829504-1,00.html

 

A small snippet:

 

The motto on Alfredo Cardinal Otta viani's Vatican coat of arms" is Semper Idem (Always the Same), and the rigid Ottaviani has clearly and consistently argued that the Roman Catholic Church should resist change. As secretary of the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, Ottaviani, 72, has diligently searched out those whom he considers modernists and heretics. As undisputed leader of conservative opinion at the Second Vatican Council, he has opposed reform as vigorously as he once opposed the idea of holding the council. But last week, as the Vatican Council's forces for change demonstrated their swelling strength, even Ottaviani supporters realized that Semper Idem is a hopeless cause.

 

Semper Idem is alive and well….

3 comments:

Moonshadow said...

a feeling of “hey, this is pretty good, sure, this is edifying, I’m learni----BAM---- , um what did I just read?”

I'd call the documents "balanced," like walking a tightrope. I suppose critics might called them "muddled." There's enough in them to please and anger all sides, I think. Maybe that's a reason that I trust them: they aren't what I would expect.

I don't read Carrie much anymore because the comments get too long but she has a post on the perspicuity of magisterial documents. I credit her as singlehandedly convincing me that not everyone should read Church documents. Prior to encountering her misunderstandings and distortions, I blithely believed having such holy documents online was a good thing.

Speaking of seatbelts, put yours on ...

Matt said...

My seatbelt? What are you alluding to?

Moonshadow said...

Sorry, that was a warning for you in the event that you read Carrie's post: brace yourself for a wild ride.

If you want to delete my previous comment, that's alright with me.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton