Thursday, August 07, 2008

Thought on Communion in Hand/Tongue Debtate

I had a thought yesterday on the arguments against restoring communion on the tongue. I have never heard a good one. I've heard some things like "but I get to HOLD Jesus". It sounds a bit contrived to me but I'm not going to judge a person who says that. Now we have this story of a wacky university professor destroying a consecrated Host. The argument begins again with the point that these sort of abuses would be much less prevalent if we restored mandatory reception on the tongue.

The nay-sayers doubt this. "Ah! But you can just immediately remove it from your mouth and slip it in your pocket before it dissolves." Yes, that is true. But EVERYONE will see you do it. Still, that doesn't make it impossible - I admit.

So I will compare this to something a bit more practical: Seatbelts. Regardless of the spiritual benefits of reception on the tongue, consider its practice like you would wearing a seatbelt. Seatbelts save lives and are worthy of use. They don't save every life, yet they are required by law.

We take our lives very seriously and regardless of law, we still wear and would wear seatbelts. That is because we cherish and respect our lives even beyond respect for civil law.

Now, ponder this in relation to communion in the hand.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

But EVERYONE will see you do it.

Yes, I once saw a mother remove the host from her mouth as she walked back from communion, break off a piece and give it to the young child she was carrying.

I thought to myself, "Hmm, an Eastern Catholic" and forced my eyes closed, my head down.

There are always larger debates, e.g. paedocommunion, to be had, aren't there?

The seatbelt analogy is an interesting one from the point of view that I'm in the habit of buckling it ... just as I'm in the habit of receiving in the hand. It's the only argument I have.

Is it preferable, when things change, to not give any justification so that, later, when things change back, nobody cries, "Yeah, but you said the other was for my benefit!"

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton