Monday, November 17, 2008

Catholic Channel Now on XM Radio

I got a message today in my inbox with the new channel lineup for XM Radio.  I know XM is adding Sirius Channels to their system so I have been checking for EWTN Radio.  EWTN is absent thus far but the supposedly less orthodox Catholic Channel has now appeared on channel 117.

 

I noticed that they have the Busted Halo radio show, who’s website is known to be on the outskirts of orthodoxy.  Here is the review from Catholic Culture, which gives it s “RED” rating:

 

“Busted Halo is the Paulist Fathers' dismal attempt to create a website for Catholic young adults. According to their mission statement,

We live in an age filled with seekers in their twenties and thirties who are desperately trying to find deeper meaning in their lives but whose journey has little to do with traditional religious institutions. BustedHalo.com believes that the experiences of these pilgrims and the questions they ask are inherently spiritual.

Based in wisdom from the Catholic tradition, we believe that the joys and the hopes, the griefs and the anxieties of the people of this age are the joys and hopes, the griefs and anxieties of all God’s people. Nothing genuinely human fails to raise an echo in their hearts. BustedHalo.com strives to reveal this spiritual dimension of our lives through feature stories, reviews, interviews, faith guides, commentaries, audio clips, discussions and connections to retreat, worship and service opportunities that can’t be found anywhere else.

We are committed to creating a forum that is: open, informed, unexpected, unpredictable, balanced, and thought-provoking. Every time we ask questions about what our lives mean and what keeps us alive, we are talking about something that’s relevant to BustedHalo.com.

Those poor souls who find their way here will not be strengthened in faith—in fact, they will be fortunate if they escape without losing faith or morals. A visit to the site produces one horrific example after another of dissent, blatant secularism, syncretism, and moral ambiguity. Needless to say, we strongly recommend that you completely avoid it.

 

I’ll listen and then judge for myself. 

4 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I have considerable respect for the Paulist Fathers' tradition of evangelism, outreach to inactive American Catholics ("Landings") and, now it seems, young adults who are notoriously difficult to reach.

Busted Halo may not be my "thang" any more than what Steve Brown has devolved into - I wish I could enjoy but I don't. 'Though I believe it's there for the benefit of somebody.

Matt said...

I am sure they have a history of doing good work...all religious orders have that. What is in peril is their future.

I'm going to have a listen before I pass judgment on anything.

MartytheCop said...

I wish I knew what Less Orthodox meant. The Catholic Channel is Orthodox.

I am waiting for somebody to point out an instance where heterodox teaching hasbeen taught.

Each week you can write and listen to a Cardianl of the Church. Daily you can listen to host from the rosary Army Apostolate and also Gregg and Lisa Popcak. Nobody has questioned their orthodoxy before they were on TCC.

Listen to the channel. You might laugh and learn. Oh My!

Matt said...

hi marty-

Thanks for the comment. You have a show on the channel right? Well I definitely will be checking it out this week. I'm looking forward to getting to know the lineup. I know Rosary Army well btw, I'm a donor to the apostolate.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton