Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Monkishly Slippery Slope

Get ready to open some new browser tabs, if you can handle it.

So a little bit ago I was browsing the web and I read this story over at the New Liturgical Movement. Thinking to myself it is a great thing that traditional Benedictines are getting their due with the mainstreams in the Church, which it is, I decided to follow some of the links to find out more.

That led me here: Confoederatio Benedictina Ordinis Sancti Benedicti. Looks pretty good so far but I wanted to see more and figure out whats up with this so I clicked around, which led me to a list of links.

There you will see one interesting link to "Dialogue Interreligieux Monastique / Monastic Interreligious Dialogue." ... I almost don't want to post the link because its somewhat scandalous.

But I guess I will. Try not to get mad when you see this website or throw something through your screen.

http://www.monasticdialog.com/
"
We are the ones we have been waiting for."

What a horror. False sycretism has infected the monasteries it appears. True inter religious dialog is called evangelization. Just because we have monks and Buddhists have monks, it doesn't mean all monks are created equal.

I highly doubt the Barroux monks will be involved in all that, but hopefully they can be a change agent in the confederation they just joined up with.

3 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I click'd through ... I guess I'm brave.

You might be able to pin the Cistercians's involvement on Merton as he was the first to take an interest in Buddhist monks and held a simplistic expectation of vocational commonalities.

Sr. Joan Chittister, on the Benedictine side, has long stirred up conflict in areas outside inter-religious dialogue. I don't read her but many Liturgical Press publications out of St. John's, Collegeville, are personal favorites.

The blurb on the "About" page makes it kosher to me:

"In order that the dialogue of monks and nuns be in explicit communion with the universal Church, the General Secretariat ensures contact with the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue."

As some Catholic Religious Orders originated in France, they carry still today characteristics that may strike us as quirky. Maybe someone who knows more on these Orders will comment.

Hmm, the word verification was "knesset"

Roman Sacristan said...

Somehow, I don't think they represent as many monasteries as they appear to (Thank, God!)

Matt said...

exactly, they appear to represent just about all of them.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton