Sunday, November 16, 2008

So, where was I today?

Here. These are some photos I snapped. Can you guess where this is?




I walked in between Masses and there was only one other gentleman there praying the rosary halfway up the middle of the Cathedral. It is daunting to walk into such a large church and be almost completely alone. I haven't had that feeling since I was in Cleveland 3 years ago. That cathedral is gorgeous as well.

I did not go to mass here, but the FSSP parish a block away. Its a shame I didn't get a picture from there; the Bishop has been very generous with that community. It is also a beautiful space.




This is the dome. It feels immense, as most domes do, when you are underneath it. Look at the colors and the detail. Beauty like this moves you to think of "higher things", it is an aid to worship.




Ah ... Harrisburg ... how blessed you are.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

Breathtaking pictures.

My friend posted some pictures he took of a church in Estonia and, curious, I found some interior shots of the same church. While I think it's majestic, it takes some effort to foster appreciation; it's not automatic like with this Harrisburg church.

Another friend's blog posted a debate between Christopher Hitchens (why hasn't he changed his Christian given name?) and some Reformed Christian who sought to argue from beauty. Yeah, that's right, beauty. Huh, go figure.

With so many adherents talking favorably about the LCMS, I desired to check it out, but posted shots of an LCMS sanctuary in a nearby church is such a turn-off ... I won't even mention the folding chairs.

I've looked at Rice's spiritual autobiography (I've never been a fan and am still not) a bit and she seems to be coming at her reconversion as a rediscovery of childhood experiences of church. That's the most powerful thing ... and something I'm trying to instill ... along with that Catholic sense of beauty, form and style.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton