Friday, January 30, 2009

Wanted: Freedom FROM the Press

I heard this on ABC news radio just seconds ago.  It made me chuckle…

 

“The GDP released today was the worst its been in 25 years, but was better than expected.”

 

Then they launched into 30 seconds of more doom and gloom.

 

Are you serious?!  Just who is running this country?  Let me tell you something….  If 100% of the media predict a recession for almost 2 years straight, GUESS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?  Guess who is going to get elected? 

 

The solution is to unplug from the media in a big way.  Think about this:  Freedom of Religion has come to mean Freedom from Religion.  Perhaps Freedom of the Press should become Freedom from the Press.

3 comments:

Moonshadow said...

Well, look, they're all gonna go out of business anyway.

But, if they don't, we need them to keep tabs on government. As much as they influence their viewers (and 24-hour news channels that need to fill the hours are the worse ... or the best ... at that),we really need them. Don't help them bury the light.

(this was a good post; I like the "Freedom FROM" parallel, though I don't think it's an essential freedom in either case.)

Chrissy Joy said...

Matt, I really really dislike the media. Maybe for different reasons than you. But I agree. I think the media is damaging our country.

Matt said...

Hey Chrissy,

We may have different perspectives politically or otherwise but in order to have reasonable debate or knowledge about anything in public life, we need the media to do their jobs and report honestly. So yea, we do agree on that!

I figure if I'm wrong about some issue or others its probably because someone in the media gave me some bad info.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton