Friday, June 26, 2009

Response From Carney

I, like many of us, participated in the Bishops’ postcard campaign to our local congressmen and senators.  Chris Carney is my representative and his office sent me a reply.  Here is the brunt of the message:

 

“As a Roman Catholic father of five, I do not favor abortion.  I cannot imagine my life without my children and believe that spending time with your children is one of life’s greatest joys.  I favor responsible education and complete access to reproductive health care.  I am a strong supporter of adoption and making it easier for families to adopt children into loving homes.”

 

He does not favor abortion.

He supports complete access to reproductive care.

 

Responsible education and complete access are almost the exact positions of Planned Parenthood.  It seems he holds the regular Catholic Democrat line: He personally opposes abortion but can’t legislate his views on others!   Correct me if I’m wrong!

2 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I'll take your word on the similarity of Carney's reply to Planned Parenthood's verbiage as I haven't any idea about them.

Still, there's no way, in my mind, that a father of five could support abortion. Heading up a large family changes the heart for life inescapably. So I believe his sentiments are sincere.

The phrase "reproductive health care" suggests to me the full range, including IVF and artificial contraception. So, on that point, he's coming down on the side of not legislating his views (hopefully those are his views) on others. He's a mixed bag. Pray for him.

Matt said...

I agree, pray for him! I know people who know him and he is supposed to be a stand up guy. He hasn't to my knowledge had any open conflicts with out Bishop (Martino) and hopefully he'll keep it that way.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton