Monday, June 28, 2010

Back from Colloquium

Well I'm finally home after the Sacred Music Colloquium. It was an incredibly tremendous experience and I am very glad to have been able to participate.

I always expect but am still always equally surprised at the natural fraternity shared by musicians. There is something different about our species that breaks down barriers instantly no matter the situation. From the first day the rooms were buzzing with conversation amongst people who had never met. It reminded me of a story that happened to me when I was in college...

One day I was in some history class in "Main Hall" and two non-music students sitting in front of me talking before it started.

"Have you ever been in the music building? I have a class in there and its unbelievable. They are always talking to each other and everyone is perpetually happy!" said one.

The other girl responded, "I know, what the heck are they so happy about? No other building is like that."

I interrupted them saying "Its because we're musicians. Its just the way we are."

Then class started. It struck me that they were right, the people in the other majors almost never spoke in the hallways...they were almost always gloomy, with a sort of blank look on their faces...at least in public. They were studying while we were playing.

The people at Colloquium come from all over the place and from all different kinds of backgrounds. But the instant bond was apparent amongst the 20 somethings and the Upper-Somethings. To add to the music, almost all of us had the Church in common...and we all wanted to talk about it, and talk about it, and talk about it.

The music itself was incredible and I was impressed a the level of musicianship of my fellow attendees. Even the less experienced came with an indefatigable enthusiasm that made up for their other deficiencies.

I hope I get to go next year. It was such a busy schedule that I never took the camera out of my bag. There are a phone pictures but that it. More later perhaps.

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton