Monday, November 19, 2012

DOW-ay Rheims and Knox Bible Video

The Knox Bible is out - no doubt everyone has seen that.  I don't have one to show you, because I am poor.  Still, here is a Youtube video from EWTN's Bookmark regarding Baronius' publication of both the Douay-Rheims and Knox Bibles.

The pronunciation here of DOW-ay Rheims in the video is something I have never heard before.  Is that the right way of saying it?  It sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me.

The whole interview seems overly scripted and preachy.  But I'm glad these great publications are being promoted.

6 comments:

Patrick said...

I've never heard Douay pronounced that way. It's not just you.

Moonshadow said...

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=douay&submit=Submit

Spelled "Douai" I could almost see it "dow-ay."

Jonathan Herman said...

Do you support the Catholic Church's position on telling African's they shouldn't use condoms despite the high risk of AIDS in Africa?

owen swain said...

"dow-ay" being so much lovlier than "doo-ee" :)

I watched this interview last week when I came across it on a fine Canadian priests FB page.

Matt J said...

Yes, it;s DOW-ay, not Doo-ay.
Take this from a Seminarian who spent two years in a college descended from the seminary in Douai.

And it seems obvious to me anyway, does anyone pronounce the word 'Doubt' as 'Doot'?

Or 'Out' as 'oot'?

Just my Two Cents.
Pax.

owen swain said...

Matt J

Appreciate the spare change.

My wife, who was born in Quebec and is a French teacher, gives "DW-ay" though "DOW-ay" is a reasonable anglophone attempt.

For the record we here in Canada know no one who says "oot" for out or "aboot" for about but we know plenty of Americans who think we do, eh.

Your best go at Rheims is "RAIMS" with a throat driven roller R. Best of look.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton