Monday, August 12, 2013

Knox Bible Review: Love at First Opening

This was long overdue.  I finally splurged to get myself a new Knox Bible from Baronius Press.  The catalyst for the purchase was an old pocket New Testament edition that I bought some time ago at a used book store.

This post is not about the translation itself.  For information you can Google it or go here to read from it and about it.

I just received my copy today from Baronius Press today and am completely thrilled.  It is only unboxed for a few hours and I need no more time with it to show you.  This is probably the highest quality book that I have from them.  It is going to last you a long time.  Let's begin.

The book itself is all class.  And by that I mean it is absolutely classic. The boards are thick and covered with genuine leather.  It reminds me of the old TAN Douay-Rheims edition in all the best ways.

This Bible is newly typeset.  Most old copies of the Knox are pretty bad.  The print in them is tiny, the binding lousy and/or beaten up.  This one is not like that.  You are going to enjoy sitting and reading it.  The only complaint I have is that dialog is not in quotations and that can be confusing.  

There are no typical extras in this.  No maps, no concordance, no calendar.  You get just the Knox text and a forward by Scott Hahn.  I hope the extras are added in future editions.

As far as I can tell, there are not a whole lot of decent photos of the book anywhere on the internet.  For your viewing and decision making needs, I present the following:







The ever popular single column setting.  


This photo is interesting.  You can see little bumps and a scar on the gilt edge.  I believe this came from the shrink wrap machine.  The top and bottom of the spine are also slightly bent.  This is a quality control issue at the bindery.  If you have the option and are lucky enough to have a good Catholic bookstore nearby that carries Baronius' editions, go there and pick the best one.



It opened flat immediately after I unboxed it.  The ribbons used here are far superior to the ones used in their Latin-English Breviary.  





Here you go http://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=60#tab=tab-1 .  Worth every penny, shilling, or ruble.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

Lucky you! With the complete text available online, I can't justify the expense right now.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton