Ok, so I wanted to change things up a bit around here. I had actually written a good deal tonight about another subject but really wasn't into it. It was a big thing about the Supreme Court with all the research and everything done (like usual). But my heart just wasn't in it. So I thought I'd just go ahead and talk about myself for a change.
Many of you out there have known me for a good chunk of time, so your reaction to some of the stuff I'm about to say will correspond with the title of this post.
For starters, I have fallen in love with the sport of baseball. I used to absolutely detest watching it on TV, and now I cannot stop. I watch 99% of all Yankees games. The other 1% I cannot watch because they are out of the viewing area. My TV almost always comes on in the morning to the YES Network (Yankees network) or Fox News. I don't only watch the Yankees though they are my favorite team. This all started just before the season began, with the movie "61" on TV. If you've never seen that movie, you should. Its all about the homerun race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. It was from that movie that my history loving switch was flipped and I realized that the Yankees were like watching living history. (NO, not the Hillary Clinton book! ew) Since then, I've been hooked. As I write this, I am watching the Yankees Encore. (repeat of today's game.) I'm happy when they win, I'm depressed when they don't.
The second thing thats new about me is that I have discovered a real liking for country music. This is probably the strangest of all, considering my background in music. But for some reason during last year, I really started to understand it and even come to enjoy some. I don't have a favorite artist or anything, but chances are if I'm listening to my XM Radio in the car, and there is nothing else on - I'll tune to a country station and ride along quite contently. I think this is in part because I've come to respect the artists as people. The industry is very pro-American like me, and I can feel the connection. The stars don't always just sing about sex and then in their personal life work to undermine the fundamentals of our way of life or our nation. I respect that, there is truth in their music for me. More so than many of the phonies in the pop-industry.
Third, I want to become a Catholic. More so now than ever. I have been doing a lot of research into church history in general, and have found that I believe I really belong in the Catholic church. Growing up as a protestant in a Presbyterian church made me the Christian I am today, but for lack of a better term, it just isn't enough anymore. I could write a whole blog topic on this, and maybe someday I will. But for now, just know that I owe most of this to EWTN and Mother Angelica, the station's founder - as well as many hours of prayer. To date, I only know one, just one friend who is a devout Catholic. Most of my experiences with Catholics have been that they find fault with their church and break many of the rules because it is just easier that way. I'm not judging those people one bit, to each their own, but by their example, I have decided that I do not want to be that kind of Catholic. If I do convert, I will do so with real conviction. For those who know my Phi Mu Alpha experience, you know exactly my mindset on things like this. I want to find a parish free from liturgical abuse (messing with the mass), and one that is in full communion with Rome.
Oh, and some of you might not know this either - but I'm a diabetic now. I exercise every day and my diet is severely limited. No insulin, just medicine and diet/exercise and its under control. I feel a lot healthier now.
So that's some of the stuff about me thats changed since college. Many of you I might not see for long stretches of time, but that doesn't mean I don't want to keep in touch. I'm still pretty much the same old Matt most of the time, so no worries. I still love the fraternity, love to joke around and do funny stuff, I still play the piano, love video games and movies. Life has its ups and downs.
Just a quick and general note: I know many of you are reading this, and many people were really on me to post some stuff up here. I'm truly flattered that many of you would take time out of your busy days to read my glorious opinions on various topics. But honestly I didn't post for so long because I didn't know what to write about. So, what I'd like to do is take some topics that everyone would like to read about. Find me on AIM, or send me an email at mwilliams at pennhost.com. Don't be shy. Most of my topics come from conversations I have with people. Maybe someday I'll put all my posts together and publish them. I'll call it "Matt: The Book."
Ok, thats it for me tonight. Have a great beginning of the week! Maybe I'll get to that Supreme Court thing some other time...