Monday, August 28, 2006

Doctor of Grace - St. Augustine

Today is the feast of St. Augustine. He is possibly the greatest mind in the last 2000 years. Since reading his Confessions at the outset of my search for the true Church, I have developed a devotion to the Doctor of Grace and ask daily for his intercession that my conversion would be guided by his patronage.

I honestly don't see much devotion going around for Augustine. There is quite a bit of devotion to his mother, St. Monica, who prayed for his conversion for over twenty years. Her prayers were finally answered with God giving her a son who would be one of the world's greatest saints. I guess devotion to Monica is more popular because her story plays more on the heartstrings of people than does Augustine's. But for those like me who have read his Confessions and been converted through his witness, he becomes our patron.

Therefore today I am dedicating this blog, for what its worth, to his patronage. May his guidance help everyone to seek the Truth in all things.

Link:
Really Brief Biography
Relatively Brief Biography
About his teaching and works.

1 comment:

Funky Dung said...

Augie's my patron. :) (I joined the Church in 2000.)

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton