Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Building a bridge.

Flipping through the channels a little bit ago I saw Jack van Impe declare to his audience that between 400AD and 1400AD the world had 1000 years of "no Bibles". He was relating it to some rapture history lesson but thats not important to this post.

Friends, before 382AD there were no Bibles like we have today. In fact it wasn't until the middle ages until we really had "Bibles". He made it sound as if before 400 everyone took their Bible to church with them and studied it in their homes.

This brings me to something I've been thinking of doing for the past couple days. And this is meant in all charity. There are a lot of misunderstandings out there about the Catholic Church. The idea that the Bible was chained to the desk of the local Bishop for fear some layman might try and read it for himself is one of them. And while some copies of the Bible might have been tied down due to their value, learning about God and the scriptures is not forbidden to Catholics. But we'll get to that in another post. Anyway...

As sort of an ecumenical outreach program on this, my humble space, I want to run a series of posts simply explaining Church teaching to those who aren't part of the Church. I'm not fixing to begin any arguments or throw my religion at you. But I'm sure there are readers out there who don't even know what I'm talking about half the time due to no fault of their own. For future reference for visitors looking around the blogosphere I'll even put them in the sidebar as we go along.

I think this is a good way to use my blog. As a convert I have a unique ability to explain things in terms non-Catholics might understand. I have no ulterior motives. This series isn't meant to convert anyone, its just a bridge for understanding. Conversion is between yourself and God - not Me, my blog, and you.

In the past, one of my good (longtime) friends called this blog "obnoxious." I hope we can mellow this space out a bit through this series. I do not try to be that way. A lot of the blogosphere is filled with poisonous language. If I get out of line just let me know. ;-)

1 comment:

Jennifer F. said...

Can't wait to read more posts on this subject. I agree, it's a great use for a blog!

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton