Saturday, January 05, 2008

Of Political Interest

When I originally began this blog a few years ago, I titled it "Absolutely No Spin" - which is still with us until now. I was really into politics back then. My shelves were filled with the conservative political books of the day and so of course I wrote about what (I thought) I knew. As time went on the blog's political emphasis diminished as what matters most took center stage.

However every now and then and probably a few more times this year, the political bug begins nibbling at my side and I must opine on the subject. A very good and old friend of mine encouraged me to write about Ron Paul and I replied that I would but in the context of all of the major candidates running for President.

I'll start with Barack Obama. His speeches are smooth and cadenced. He really knows how to work a room. I have been watching him speak and caught his victory speech from Iowa and his concession in New Hampshire. His technique is energetic and easy on the ears. Obama speaks on the topic was hope and how voters come together and decided to decide on a direction that would change the face of politics in America. And thats pretty much it. He speaks well but says nothing. Almost all of his speeches lacks any kind of coherent substance. He is a majestic, colorful, hot air balloon. A windbag.

This is his slogan:
"I'm asking you to believe. Not just about my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."

What? BIG FREAKING WHOOP'DEE'DOO. Its like a bad commercial for Health and Wealth Gospel products on INSP. As for his actual politics, he is more left of center than Hillary. Thing is, he lacks any coherent substance except "believe in change". He would be an even less effective President than Bill Clinton. If he were to be elected President the country might be smiling but absolutely zilch (with a z) would get done. He's been a state senator and a real senator for just a few years. Tell me why he is qualified to be the leader of the sole super power on the planet?

In fairness, if you by chance happen upon his website, he seems to have a lot of actual opinions on various issues which his advisers probably made up for him. Regardless, when he talks to us we get windbag.

A lot of people are downplaying Hillary at the moment because she lost Iowa. I'm not making any kind of prediction because it would be dumb to do so. Hillary is the archenemy of Conservatives in America. Many of us will gladly sacrifice our own candidate(s) just to watch her lose. She comes across as mean and condescending. Her nanny-state politics are chock full of substance. Her message is pretty clear: Elect me and your (my) government will provide everything for you. Just pay 1 easy installment every year by April 20th. Btw, do you believe the tears?

I do want to get to Ron Paul, so lets move over to the Republican side. I am actually sympathetic to *some* of Ron Paul's views. For a long time now it has been my opinion that the government should just take out the trash defend the borders. That is over simplifying things of course but you get the point. And another thing, there is a reason he is resonating with some voters and it has to do with the fact that in many ways our country has become oppressive of its own people. He is the only candidate that sticks out with a message because everyone else just spews opinions from the punditry. Were he electable we would find him a "destructionalist". I mean by that he would do everything in his power to dismantle our ridiculously massive government and let society go on its way. Government provides the basic structure to support a just society that allows for maximum freedoms, not a government that provides a way of life. That used to be a tenet of the Republican party. Supposedly it still is. Don't be too shocked if some people still believe in it.

But alas, Ron Paul will be soon be an "also-ran" with a cause. We are left with Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, John McCain, Fred Thompson, Rudy Giuliani. Now, I'm not going to get into each one, though there are differences. Among them the most important: Abortion, which except for Giuliani are all pro-life. There is no front runner and thats the interesting part. With the Democrat side they aren't talking about anything substantive or new but the Republicans seem to be picking their candidate much more carefully. Democrat politics to this observer are all about picking the right face, tone quality, etc. They aren't picking their candidate for the message, they are picking it like they'd choose a car color. But the Republicans are intent on finding the right message with the right face to defeat the "liberals". Thats why there is no real front runner.


I'm going to leave it here for now until I pick a candidate to support. Its hard not to just pick who you think will win and support him. But I will not sell out for victory's sake. Most of you linguini spined liberals already have. Your ticket should have been Joe Biden and Bill Richardson if you were at all serious. You know that and shame on your party.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Right now, I'll take the blind hope of the Democrats over the blind fear of someone like Rudy "9/11" Giuliani.

For me, Bush has poisoned the Republican well far too much for me to be able to drink that water this year...

Just my $0.01 (It was $0.02, but taxes and everything... :-P)

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton