Friday, December 19, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year


This is literally my favorite time of the year...the few days leading up to Christmas. It always has been. I've felt a little more detached this year than previous and I think that's because I'm finally settling into my traditional Catholic life. I'm not a new convert anymore and so the clay is hardening a bit. I was in Circuit City last evening and as I was looking around there was no impulse to buy anything for myself, let alone buy much of anything they were peddling for Christmas. The fact is that a lot of what stores put out for Christmas is sinful. I mean, lets be real here. The $3.99 DVD bin was loaded with morally illicit garbage. How many Dawkins and Hitchens books will find their way under a tree somewhere in America on Thursday? Ironic to say the least.

This year the economy has finally effected our business and so we're going light on the gifts. I wouldn't have it any other way. Last year the midnight Mass, my first as a confirmed Catholic made the Holiday anew for me. Remember at the beginning I said this has always been my favorite time of the year. But the Mass being what it is and my participation has made it all better. Rather, it has made it real.

Before I became Catholic all I had were fading traditions. They were fading because as all families do, we're getting older. My sister and I are both out of college, our cousins all have kids and families of their own so there are only remnants now of the "Christmases you remember". That all changed for me last year when Advent finally had meaning again and the wreath came back out. Then midnight Mass came and made my Christmas. I could have cared less for exchanging presents.





Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton