Thursday, December 24, 2009

O Great Mystery

As I have told some of my friends recently, Advent is the center of my spiritual life. I am not sure why but it has something to do with the Incarnation and waiting for the Lord. Advent, I think more than Lent, points to the coming of our salvation. It is the anticipation of salvation being open to us. And this is the reality to which we are called isn't it? Salvation is possible for us but we are all still working on it. We are all anticipating the coming of the Lord in one way or another. It may be some are awaiting Baptism, others their First Communion, some in death. There may not a few who are also waiting for him to re-enter their lives after falling away into serious sin and many years of wandering in the spiritual desert.

No matter how deeply involved I am with my parish or the Church in general things never seem complete. Truly the Sacraments work in a way I cannot fathom but even they are only a foretaste of the reality in Heaven. When Advent rolls around every year I am reminded that somehow I am still waiting for Christ, even though he is with us all the time.

I recently read in the (outstanding) Divine Intimacy that Christ does not in fact have two comings - those being the Incarnation and Second Advent - but three. He comes to us individually as well. This Christmas time we can once again as Christ into our hearts.

May God bless you all and have a very Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

MAX said...

Hi Matt,
I like your blog. Especially the book reviews. I would like to contact you via email but can't find your contact info. Email me a ask@churchlatin.com

Thanks!
MAX

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton