Thursday, May 06, 2010

Expensive Books and Reviews

I'm a little hesitant to post this...

I've been thinking about something for a while now and I want to pitch an idea to everyone out there. There are several titles soon to be released that are going to be prohibitively expensive for me to review. Money is tight for everyone right now.

On my mind at the moment is the new breviary in Latin and English which we've been waiting for since 2006. I don't know that review copies will be available when it is released and some companies simply don't have the resources to provide them. (I can ask...) I expect that in order to bring this title to you I will have to pay out of pocket. Other titles also apply.

But so will you. And what if its awful? What if its fantastic and you just aren't so sure by looking at pictures? There are quite a few books here which I've bought out of pocket and have led people to purchase (or not). I'd like to provide that service for you when it comes to the "big one" or "ones" we've all been waiting for.

I'm thinking about putting up a Paypal link for donations solely to offset the cost of book reviews. The money will go for books. Books only. I view this as a type of ministry after all.

So I'm going to put up a poll on the right hand sidebar. You don't have to leave a comment if you don't want to. Just vote. Would you donate a buck or two to support the reviews?

3 comments:

kbpipes said...

I think that is a great idea. I love your reviews, and have purchased books, because of them. I have also added many more to the purchase sometime list.

Mike said...

I am a lurker on your blog, but I have certainly found it to be very helpful. I also think that is a great idea.

Jude said...

I have been waiting for this same Baronius Press Latin-English Breviary for years as well. They kept postponing it, so I caved and bought a used Dominican Breviary - Latin only. I would love to see a review, when'if it ever sees the light of day, and could contribute a few dollars to help offset the cost.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton