Monday, February 07, 2011

Liturgia Horarum by MTF - Online Preview

A few months ago I sent an email to Midwest Theological Forum inquiring about their edition of the Liturgia Horarum. I know I'm not a big time blogger but a response would have been nice.

The other day I came across someone on eBay selling one of these editions and they showed the inside layout. So I thought I'd check them out again on MTF's website.

There is now a preview of the content inside that I didn't see before. The layout inside looks like they took the traditional two column route. I believe the Psalter is single column. It seems that they did a nice job. The only criticism from this distance is that the book is a bit larger than almost every other breviary out there. (8.25 x 5.25)

But without actually seeing one, its difficult to tell.

Here is the preview page. The leather set costs $900.

4 comments:

sekman said...

This set is ridiculous:
1. It is big
2. It costs $900
3. It is 6 volumes!
I can tell you that the Vatican's leather edition is beautiful, and I assume it would outdo MTF's version.

Matt said...

sekman,

could you send along some photos of the Vatican's edition? I have an original edition from the 70s and it isn't all that impressive.

sekman said...

Matt,
I would love to be able to send you photos, however, the version I saw belonged to a deacon whom I am friends with, if I ever get the chance to see them again I will snap a few pics for you. Like I said it is a very impressive set, bound in leather gold gilding, along with the gold stamping along the inside of the cover. I used to have a full economy edition set from the original printing. I now have three volumes from the 2000 economy edition printing which is typeset better than the 70's version, however is poorly bound.

Rich said...

Sekman,

Do you find the 2000 economy edition so poorly-bound that it loses pages? I've been trying out multiple versions of the Divine Office, and I really enjoyed the Liturgia Horarum. However, I'm not sure I want to drop $200 per volume for the leather-bound edition. Is the economy edition a waste of cash?

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton