Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Traveling, Commentary, Hymn of the Incarnation

Ugh. I've been traveling now for a week straight. Each night is spent in another motel which makes for a rough night's sleep. Let's also just say that I'm not staying in the world's most posh establishments either, so that doesn't help.

Either way, I had a great weekend at the cabin for my alumni retreat with my Fraternity. We got a lot done and were able to plan some things for the coming year. Ironically, my parish priest is a brother and my province governor for the Fraternity is also a priest. So my Fraternity and Church lives are intertwined in that respect. Its kind of nice actually.

News commentary:
I haven't been able to watch much news this past week. Every time I turn on the tube all I see are a bunch of commie-lib Democrats declaring defeat and smiling from ear to ear. Even Tony Blair thinks Iran and Syria are new allies. (?!?!?!) Clearly the world has gone nuts when our own politicians relish in (what they want to be reality) our supposed defeat or whatever you want to call it in Iraq. I would reiterate how ridiculous I think it is to consider us defeated in this war again but it would hurt my fingers too much.

Church commentary:
A prominent Church of England bishop has apparently said that in some cases its ok to let disabled babies die if there is little/no hope of them surviving and/or the financial costs would be economically troubling. There are a lot of outraged people. I wonder if they are really outraged or just pretending to be in order to rip down an already troubled ecclesial community and disenfranchise the last of their devout members.

Other stuff...
I missed Mass this past Sunday due to travel for the first time in the past 9 months. I'm not thrilled about it whatsoever and I sort of feel like my tank is running on empty because of it. Mass has become, among other things, my spiritual reset button each week that keeps me going for the rest of the week. I would say there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to this weekend with my friends and Fraternity but to be honest my attention is squarely focused on Sunday morning. I can't wait. Some of you think its ridiculous to look forward to nothing else but Mass but I'd be more than happy to explain it to you sometime if you'd let me.

On my Theosis CD there is a piece called "Hymn of the Incarnation" which is part of the eastern Divine Liturgy. I love the piece and thought if you don't know it already you'd appreciate the text. It opens with a standard yet easternized Glory Be.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

Only-Begotten Son and Word of God, Who, being immortal,
deigned for our salvation to become incarnate of the Holy Mother of God
and ever-Virgin Mary, and became man without change.

You were also crucified, O Christ, our God,
and by death have trampled death,
being one of the Holy Trinity,
and glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
save us!



-Pax et bonum.-

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton