Monday, May 07, 2007

Rough waters in the Tiber

You might have heard by now about Dr. Francis Beckwith, president of the Evangelical Theological Society and his swim across the Tiber. I personally didn't even know he or that group existed until his story broke.

This is their doctrinal statement (from their website):


"The Bible alone, and the Bible in its entirety, is the Word of God written and is therefore inerrant in the autographs. God is a Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each an uncreated person, one in essence, equal in power and glory."



I read at Jimmy Akin's blog that this statement was written to keep the Catholics away from the organization. Sheesh. Well regardless, it didn't keep one of their own, their president no less, from reverting back to the Catholic faith.

But thats not why I'm typing this. If you check out Dr. Beckwith's blog, it is filled all kinds of comments. Some of them are nice, but some of them are really condescending. I can't imagine if people did that to me. You have to figure he knew a lot of people weren't going to understand, and some would even be hurt, by his choice. But given his position as President of an Evangelical group, its a sure bet doing what he did took a lot of thought and courage.

I think there are people who are both Catholic and Protestant who would do well to take a lesson from my friends and I. I only ever had two separate friends try and evangelize me away from the Church. When you take into account that most of my friends are Protestants to begin with thats a pretty good number.

On my side, I'm not sitting at a dinner table with them either telling them they are going to hell for not being Catholic. Oh, they might, but then again I'm not a sure thing either.

I'm not advocating wishy washy ecumenism or universal salvation. What I am advocating is civility. As the good book says (loosely quoted): "Those who are not against you are for you."

Thats enough on this topic. I figured it was worthy to comment on a high profile conversion. Although I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the Church has lost uncatechised people en masse to mega churches, getting one big fish back kinda feels nice.

1 comment:

The Colossus said...

I get along fine with my Protestant friends. We just stay away from subjects that we know lead into heated arguments -- Sola Scriptura, Faith vs. Works, Marian devotions.

Instead we look at the crazies in the outside culture and are just thankful there are still Christians out there.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton