Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hastings: 941st Anniversary (Part 1)

Each year I commemorate one of the most important events in known history: The Battle of Hastings. This year not only will my blog reflect this but some friends and I are getting together and preparing a medieval feast. The menu is a smattering of various dishes all prepared with the greatest accuracy possible. A retelling of the battle will also occur. I am preparing by reading David Howarth's "1066: Year of the Conquest". Its a good book overall and very readable. However he takes a lot of "moral liberty" in describing the people of the time, especially King Edward. Like many modern historians the virtues of chastity and obedience to God are seen only as smoke screens because after all, who could really strive for holiness right? But I digress...

Here begins this year's tribute with a fun YouTube find:


1 comment:

Jennifer F. said...

I don't know very much about the Battle of Hastings (ignorant American, right here). Can't wait to read your other posts about it!

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton