Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Matt gives up coffee for Lent


The Shrine of Our Lady of the Bean
(closed until Easter)


*shock and awe*

I meant to post this last week. Coffee is now off the menu until Easter. My body has mixed reactions to this reality but my will is strong. As of last Wednesday I presumably was averaging anywhere between 3 and 6 cups per day. Sometimes decaf sometimes full strength. Now I am down to ZERO. What had become a major part of my diet is now missing. Imagine the physiological changes that could occur by not putting this into my body anymore. Hopefully they will only be good.

I am happy to do the penance.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

When I was a kid ... and a brand-new Beatles fanatic ... I gave up the band for Lent. Whenever a song of theirs came on the radio, I flipped it off! It was a hard thing; the classic rock stations played Beatles all the time. Nowadays I can go weeks without needing a fix of them, probably because with music on demand, I know I can hear them anytime. You know how that goes. But, I'll say that their music still cheers me up ... always.

I listened to five minutes of Charles Stanley on the radio this afternoon. He was talking about what to do after you sin: confess, repent, make restitution, if possible. Stanley said under no circumstances should you do penance. I turned him off right there because he's confused. 1 Pet. 4:8

A Peaceful Lent to you.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton