Monday, September 22, 2008

McCain Rally Today

This morning I went to see John McCain at the (Masonic) Scranton Cultural Center.  I had forgotten the building was also the Masonic Temple.  Actually, it is called “Scottish Rite Cathedral”.  Walking up to the building I saw the Cardinal Virtues, the Keys, and other explicitly Catholic symbols.  As I got closer I saw the Masonic writing and symbols.  Oh well. 

 

McCain did  a good job.  Sarah Palin didn’t come today, which was a disappointment.  Arlen Specter, Joe Liebermann, and Lyndsey Grahm (sp?) were also there.  Our local candidate for Congress was there…standing in the back all by himself.  I sort of said hello.  I kinda felt bad for him honestly.  He didn’t speak at the podium either. 

 

Today’s rally was given by the Irish Presidential Forum, which deals with Irish American issues.  Specifically they seem to deal with Irish immigration and “the troubles”.  Obama refused to attend.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

other explicitly Catholic symbols.

Co-opting respected symbols is one way to legitimizing a new group. I mean, the monogram of Christ, "chi-rho," has been used by LGBT for years. Same with the rainbow. It's a typical strategy.

PA seems like an important state this year, so you may get to see a number of people. I still remember the day Christie Todd Whitman came to my office building in Holmdel. Wow, what a presence. Charisma - there's no other word to describe it. She was radiant. But, sadly, her political career was yet another casualty of 9/11.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton